Managerial skills are like common sense: no one likes to admit they don’t have enough. But the reality is that we all have had a boss who doesn’t know how to deal with people.
So here are some quick and dirty tips to deal to work it out.
1. Observe: What is happening around you? What is supposed to be happening? What are the patterns? Are you part of the patterns?
2. Listen: You know. We know that you know. And listening is the best way for you to know more.
3. Ask good questions: Start always with humble questions about things that matter. The person working directly with the issue is usually the one who has the information needed to solve it.
4. Think: What do you need to do? How does it fit in the company long-term plan?
5. Act: How can you invite your team to collaborate and solve the issue? How can you empower them and facilitate the process?
That’s it. It’s that simple.